Saturday, November 07, 2015

When your Android tablet constantly listens to everything around, waiting for "Ok Google"

  • I saw this totally unacceptable thing on the home screen of my Android-powered Samsung tablet the other day [after I had fiddled with some seemingly-harmless settings, none of which clearly/explicitly informed me that my microphone would henceforth be constantly monitored, and that all audio captured would be sent to Google's servers in real-time to determine if "Ok Google" had been spoken.
  • We really, really need offline voice recognition capability, especially for small and frequently-used phrases such as Ok Google. Once it has been determined offline that Ok Google has been said, it is then that online audio processing can be turned on.

No comments:

Post a Comment